Director: Alexander Verkhovsky
Tel/fax: +7 (495) 517-9230
SOVA Center for Information and Analysis is a Moscow-based Russian nonprofit organization that was founded in October 2002 by a group of people working for the Panorama Center for Information and Research and the Moscow Helsinki Group.
SOVA Center conducts informational and research work on such topics as nationalism and xenophobia, relations between the churches and the secular society, and political radicalism. We are also interested in the problem of human rights in general and in safeguarding liberal democracy in the Russian Federation.
The SOVA Center monitors and collects information daily, and the results are published on this site every day in Russian. Some news are published in English under the heading “News Releases”. Presentations, research, and other materials are also published directly on this website.
SOVA has also published books containing the information found on this website, available for purchase or download here. (Page is in Russian.)
Currently the SOVA Center is being funded with the help of the European Instrument for Democracy & Human Rights (EIDHR), International Partnership for Human Rights, Russian Jewish Congress and Norwegian Helsinki Committee.
Previous sponsors for the SOVA Center include:
- “Open Society” Foundation (OSF),
- National Endowment for Democracy (NED),
- Henry M. Jackson Foundation,
- Federal grants from the Russian Federation (through The State Club Foundation, Institute of Civil Society Propblems, and Civil Dignity Movement),
- and The State Club Foundation directly,
- European Instrument for Democracy & Human Rights (EIDHR),
- Public Verdict Foundation,
- Norwegian Helsinki Committee,
- Bilateral projects with the UK Embassy,
- Freedom House,
- Liberty Road Foundation.
Alexander Verkhovsky's brief bio.