A Series of Racist Attacks in St. Petersburg. One Person Dead

On December 1, 2007, in St. Petersburg, not less than 5 people became victims of a series of racist assaults. A 20 year-old citizen of Uzbekistan died in the result of the attack.

The first attack took place in the underground. At about 2.30 p.m., at the Gorkovskaya metro station, Sayana Mongush, a journalist and an employee at the republic of Tyva government office, was addressed with insults by 2 nazi skinheads who came into the carriage to choose the victim. When they were about to hit her, she took out her camera and said: "Just try to do it!" The teenagers retreated, but continued to insult her till the next stop, where they went away. She managed to take several pictures of them. However, they turned out not to leave the train, but just changed the carriage, gathered their mates, and returned to the carriage where Sayana was sitting. 8 nazi skinheads approached her directly and started to beat her. A man sitting next to her made an attempt to defend her. The neo-nazis started to beat him also, while not a single person in the carriage intervened. Sayana managed to escape at one of the stations. She didn't see what happened to the man who tried to defend her (later, looking at the pictures taken at the carriage, she saw this man on one of them, and he was also of "non-Slavic" appearance). When she run out of the carriage to the platform, a man of about 50 years old approached her, showed his cell phone with the video of her being beaten and said: "Don't cry. You got off lightly" and went away. She had an impression that this person could be related to the group, in charge of "quality control". When Sayana addressed a policeman at one of the stations, he pretended not to take her seriously and refused to register her complaint.

Later, on the same day, in the same area, 3 more attacks took place, which gives us a reason to think that all of these attacks were committed by the same group.

At about 5.00 p.m. a 49 year-old resident of St. Petersburg (as it is cited in the media, "of a clearly Semitic appearance") was attacked at the Omskaya street by a group of youths. He was hospitalized with multiple knife wounds and concussion of the brain.

At about 5.40 p.m., on the Lanskoye road, 24 (which is a 15 minute walk from the Omskaya street), a body of a 20 year-old Uzbeki citizen with multiple knife wounds was found. Reportedly, he left his home to do shopping half an hour before his death.

At about 10.15 p.m., a 59 year-old Moldova citizen was brought to a municipal hospital from Lanskoye road where he had been attacked by a group of youngsters. They attempted to hit him with a knife, but he started to fight and they retreated.

The police has opened an investigation in connection with the murder.